Saturday, November 6, 2010

A country ride in the city

I've got this image in my head of the kind place I'd like to tour by bicycle.  Frustratingly, the place seems to exist only in my head.  Consider:

It has to be easy to get to.  No rack on the Honda means driving to a starting point is more hassle than convenience.

It should feature country roads, tree-lined streets and something scenic.

It needs to be free of traffic.  The prettiest country road is spoiled instantly by a too-close motorist.

Well, I'm happy to report that I found at least a tiny portion of this bucolic cycling spot.  It lies just beyond the terminus of my daily commute on the American River Bike Trail.  Just a bit south of downtown, the bike trail briefly becomes one with a quiet, empty road used to access a boat launch on the Sacramento River.  This may be a busy spot on weekends, but on a weekday ride, it's completely empty.

And, it's appropriately tree-lined and scenic. 

Here it is:




Just a little farther along, the trail becomes just a trail again, but runs along the levee, giving clear views of the river as it bends and works its way toward the Delta.


There's a lesson in here somewhere about the thing you're searching for being under your nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment