Thursday, December 23, 2010

Riverside trail now features lake view



For the past 10 days or so, the weather and holiday errands have kept me to fairly short rides -- to downtown, around the neighborhood, that kind of thing.  So, when the sun came out and stayed out today, I decided I would take an hour or so and ride along the river to Discovery Park.

Well, it turns out a couple of weeks of rain were not without impact on the bike trail. The meadow that becomes Bushy Lake in wet weather isn't big enough to hold the water that's been accumulating and it spilled over onto the trail.



Here's Lucky, his progress thwarted, along a usually dry stretch of trail.  As tempting as it was to cross this and investigate further, I know from experience that if the water is this high at Bushy Lake, then Discovery Park is pretty much an inland sea.

Luckily, this isn't the only route to downtown or points south of the river.  By switching to another spur of the trail, I was able to cross the American River a couple of miles upriver from its confluence with the Sacramento River and meander downtown.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Bike,
    I own the same version 1953. Her name is Victoria. She is the pride of my fleet.

    ReplyDelete