Thursday, March 17, 2011

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!



St. Patrick brought us a one-day reprieve from the relentless rain and gloom that is marking this Spring.  I, for one, am grateful and thrilled. 

Sure, I know that I could still ride in the rain -- and I do often enough -- but between the weather and travel and work, it's been quite a few days since I've been on a bike.  Not wanting to waste today's sunshine, I headed to Capitol Park for fresh air, people watching and sunshine. 

Our family St. Patrick's celebration is going nicely, albeit in a low-key way.  Thanks to the last-minute arrival of Irish bangers at Costco, we're having two excellent dinners in a row this week.  Last night was bangers, beans and mash, and tonight is corned beef, cabbbage, spuds and carrots.  Yum.

When I was younger and a bit (!) more militant about these things, I never tired of pointing out that corned beef and cabbage is an American re-invention of an Irish dish... kind of like Chop Suey.  Now, I figure A) it's delicious; and 2) it seems to make people happy.

So, to the several thousand people who received one of my mini lectures between, say, 1974 and 1999, I'm genuinely sorry and grateful to you for not punching me in the mouth.

I hope your St. Patrick's Day was as happy and pleasant as mine.

An beannachtaí agus Naomh Pádraig a bheith agat ar lá atá inniu ann agus i gcónaí!!

No comments:

Post a Comment