Friday, February 19, 2010

Is this what they mean by "breaking in a Brooks?"

I was thrilled that the Raleigh Superbe I just bought came with its original Brooks B72 saddle.  It showed its 35-or-so years, however, and was dry, cracked and showing as much brown as black.

Nothing a little proofide wouldn't fix, I figured.  And, if a little proofide is good, then a lot must be better.

I applied it pretty liberally to the top and underside.  I left it overnight and then wiped off what was left on the top.  The saddle looked 100 percent better.  It no longer felt dry and it looked vintage, as opposed to decrepit.  My new bike was ready to deliver to the capable hands of Theo, restoration expert.

So, I rode the bike down my driveway to where the car was parked... maybe 80 feet.  On the way, I felt two distinct drops... first the left cheek, then the right. 

This is what I saw when I got off and checked it out.

 

So, here's my question to you experienced bike restorers and Brooks users.  Was this my fault?  Was the saddle so old that this was bound to happen, or did my liberal use of proofide accelerate the process.  Worse yet, should I lose another 30 pounds before attempting to sit on an old saddle again?
Here are two more views in case it helps you detectives:


 
 

5 comments:

  1. Not your fault. I have never seen a B72 that didn't fail eventually, most of mine failed further forward by tearing in half. I suspect if you had a brand new B72 and took care of it from the get go it would last longer, but all of them I have ever seen have been neglected at some point and even with careful restorative care still failed. I think it has to do with the style of saddle and frame. Wide saddle on a fairly rigid frame. I have seen very few of the B66 saddles fail like the B72. The B66 has a sprung frame.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aaron. That's pretty reassuring on the one hand... on the other, I just ordered a new B72. Wish i'd waited a few days.

    But your comment is super helpful. Thanks for weighing in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! That looks pretty crazy. Sorry, I don't know enough to give any advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaron, do you think it's possible to stitch it together or otherwise repair it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt it. I have never attempted to repair one that has torn all the way across. About the only "repair" I have done is to replace a bad rivet or to punch some holes in the skirt so the saddle could be laced to pull it back to it's original configuration.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete